- These presentations will focus on what individual companies are doing to reduce their emissions and contribute to local or global decarbonisation plans.
- Companies will outline the strategies they have put in place, how they are tackling their direct and indirect emissions, how they are working with their supply chains and how they are monitoring their progress.
Climate & Environment Forum
Wednesday 18th January
10.30 | Opening presentation
10.40 | Presentation: National Dialogue for Climate Ambition - A UAE government initiative
10.55 | Presentations: Commitments to a low carbon future
10.55 | Major International company 1
11.10 | Major International company 2
Chief Sustainability Officer Middle East &
11.25 | Local private company 1
Emirates Global Aluminium
11.40 | Local private company 2
11.55 | Panel: Readying the UAE for COP28 – youth expectations
- What outcomes from COP27 will shape discussions that take place at COP28 in the UAE
- How will UAE-based companies help the government’s climate ambitions
- What initiatives could be introduced that will make a significant difference to climate strategies
12.35 | Break
14.00 | Panel: Role of climate-linked finance in decarbonisation strategies
- Climate-linked finance explained, with examples of how it can be used
- How does it change expectations on actions taken by companies that use it?
- What benefits does this bring to countries and governments trying to reduce emissions?
Moderator: Hanan Bakr Sakr
Finance Resilience Lead,
Climate Champions Team, UNFCCC
Aisha Al Abdooli
Ministry of Climate Change & Environment
Sarah Pirzada Usmani
Managing Director, Head of Sustainable,
Regional Head of Sustainability,
CMB MENAT Global Commercial Banking, HSBC
Founder & CEO,
14.40 | Presentations: What technologies will significantly help decarbonisation strategies
- A focus on the digitalisation and technology advancements that will shape efforts to decarbonise, and why
14.40 | Presentation 1: Advanced technology use in Mangrove forests
Founder & CEO,
14.55 | Presentation 2
15.10 | Panel: Working with your supply chain to tackle scope 3 emissions
- Scope 3 emissions are the toughest to reduce, because they involve not just your company but your supply chain
- How do companies measure and monitor scope 3 emissions?
- What types of measures can bring them down?
Moderator: Olga Rudkovskaya
Manager-Sustainability and Supply Chain
DNV Supply Chain & Product Assurance
Head of Innovation Middle East & Africa
Associate Director Sustainability, Farnak &
Board of Directors, UN Global Compact UAE
Anne Marie Thodsen
The Umbrella Institute
15.40 | Presentation: Building a company decarbonisation strategy
- This case study will explore the steps and processes executives can take when building, maintaining, expanding or accelerating their organisation's sustainability strategy
- It will outline the need to knows and dos & don'ts, and explain why it is better to focus on tangible targets and ignore buzz terms, and the approaches an organisation took to successfully put in place or maintain a policy.
International VP of Sustainability,
15.55 | Launch of the Advancing Net Zero Volunteering Team
- An initiative led by UAE experts with the objective of accelerating decarbonization of the built environment and cities in the UAE.
Presentation: Advancing Net Zero Volunteering Team - who are we and how to get involved
Panel: Accelerating decarbonisation in cities
- What is a net zero institute or community and why is the idea getting so much attention? Is net zero an industry dream or an achievable ambition?
- An assessment of the current efforts from government and private sector to meet the net zero goals.
- How can we evolve the talents of the UAE to tackle the challenge of a net-zero transition? What role will experts from both the private and public sector play in the decarbonisation agenda?
Moderator: Majd Fayyad
DSM Strategy & Policy Lead,
Dubai Supreme Council of Energy
Andrea Di Gregorio
Director of Energy Efficiency and Renewables
Office, RAK Municipality
Saeed Al Abaar
Head of MENA Programmes
World Green Building Council